Wednesday, January 12, 2011

life with 4.

I know its been awhile since I posted but to be honest I find I just dont think about their status that much. we get up go about our day, take meds, finish our day, take meds, and go to bed. there just is no time for worrying about hiv. Today we had checkup at PID doc. kids are doing well, and healthy. I hadnt noticed so much but little bit is looking so much healthier she said. rounder face, more filled out. Of course little bit doesnt like to eat much, not one little bit haha. but that is improving. they all had blood draws and survived. Freckles is the only one who made much of a fuss. Little bit had one big tear and that was it. Glam girl was awesome and said she had been poked plenty of times before and this was no big deal. All boy did great too, although I think he did better last time, but still no tears or fuss.

When we were finally done (appts started 1030, we left there at 230.....) I treated them to McDonalds. they loved that. I dont go to M very often. it isnt convenient, it isnt cheap, it isnt healthy. but I did today and they were happy.

I have been talking with the kids about their hiv. they wanted to know why they take meds and not some of our other kids. I explained that they have a virus and they take meds to keep the virus small. if the virus gets too big it will make them sick. Freckles cried when I told her that she would always have this virus and would always have to take meds.  Im not sure little bit understands much beyond he takes meds to keep the virus small. whatever a virus is. Im not sure All boy even cares. Glam girl takes her cues from freckles. I did not give them the name of the virus. I didnt want it to slip out at an inopportune moment and cause them problems. as everyone tells me, its ok to tell, but once you tell you cant UNtell it. so I want to wait a little bit until they are older and better understand english as well as better understand the disease.  so they know they have a virus. they know it wont go away. they know why they take meds. for now they are content with that and I guess I will just approach it as I always did talking about sex. I answer questions as they come up and I answer honestly but I dont tell them more than they want to know.

I am also learning as the kids learn more english that the country they came from is very misinformed about their disease. when kids went swimming, they weren't allowed to go. once when the other kids were done they let them in and then they drained the pool and scrubbed it. they always had their plates and cups washed last and kept seperate from the others.  I dont think twice about anyone in this house drinking from the same cup or eating off the same plate, much less AFTER its been washed!  I am very happy to have these kids here where they can know a normal life not one of exile. I sure do love them.

2 comments:

  1. That is the saddest story about the pool and the plates :( So happy to hear they are all healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sorry, if you mentioned before... How old are your 4 hiv children? God bless you & your family having the strength and courage to be parents to these innocent children. My grandfather passed away from complications of AIDS; but living with the virus in the 80's was very taboo-- and my family kept a lot of secrets, afraid of being treated differently. In some cases, out of mostly ignorance & fear at the time... a few of the grandkids were banned from going to grandpa's. Luckily my mom, allowed me to visit & interact as he got sicker. BUT today the virus is easily controlled & I do believe in my heart there will be a cure. Praying for your family & continued good health.

    ReplyDelete