Wednesday, August 25, 2010

out of a drug. had it called in to neighboring larger town. went there and they said oh it wont be in until tomorrow. grr. except they called this morning first thing to tell me it did NOT come in today. so now they are out of zidovir. who knows when it will come in. soon to be out of kaletra but hopefully not before our appt. I also looked up the drugs they take. each kid had one that was taken on empty stomach and I found that the absorption of THESE drugs is NOT affected by food or no food. only ONE, the bedtime one for one child, said a meal heavy in fat could affect it. since we dont eat high fat meals and he doesnt take that one until bedtime I decided to give them all the meds in the morning with breakfast and at night with dinner, not splitting up the single one that was to be given alone between meals. I checked also for intereaction between drugs, nothing. cant figure out why they had them taking them alone.I did discover though that if you mix the drug inside the capsule along with the colored part of the capsule(in water) the water/med turns that color, in this case blue. well BLUE medicine is way better than clear or white and have had no problem getting them to take it.  limiting meds to morning meal and evening meal(and the single bedtime one for one child) makes life a bit easier around here. I feel llike all I do is give out meds!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your doc is overseeing when the meds are given. Bummer about running out! What a nightmare. I guess the pharmacy will start ordering this for you in advance once they know you are coming every month for it. Otherwise, it would probably be worth the drive to a city for it since adherence is so important. Hang in there - sounds like the med routine is getting easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we havent been to the doctor yet we are still following ukraine's directions and using the meds they sent. they sent lots of liquid but not much of pills or kaletra and most of them take the pills. I called there and told them we ran out and they put in a short scrip for us to get us until our appt.

    ReplyDelete