Wednesday, August 18, 2010

they have hiv?

I see my beautiful kids now that they are home and say wow! I am so lucky that I got to have them. then I remember why no one else in their country wanted them. They are such great kids. Lil bit is a bit of a wild thing, but glam girl and freckles are wonderful, all boy is doing well and is...well... all boy. = ) I feel like all I do though is give meds. breakfast its aluvia kaletra lamivir lamivudin between meals its stavudine and zidovir and dinner its aluvia kaletra lamivir lamivudin again and another one at bedtime for one kid. 6 or 7 meds times 4 kids is overwhealming! and some are take with food some are take on empty stomach. some kids are on this one and that one some are on that one not this one. but I really feel lucky to have them. I couldnt be happier with the way this turned out. They have fit right into our home and family. 

since we previously adopted 2 children with some orthopedic problems, people often ask if these kids have special needs. I usually say yes they are special and I need them. but if they press the issue it is hard for mne to say the right thing. I dont want to lie but at the same time I dont want to share either because most often it really isnt their business. I dont share my pap results with strangers why should I share my kids hiv status? but the state I live in is known for being "nice" and I have a hard time with being anything less. I need to come to a middle ground where I can still be nice but feel ok about not sharing.

2 comments:

  1. That's a hard one. Maybe you could say - "we're dealing with some medical stuff, but it's all very manageable" (I am the queen of vague). If they inquired further, it might be a bit awkward, but something like "well, we tend to be private about medical history, but in general the kids are doing well now" or if that sounds not nice enough you could say "they take meds for a rare blood disorder (or immune disorder) and they are doing really well."

    I hope your transition is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said they have a blood disorder but my husband the doctor says that isnt exactly accurate. I thought it was clear as mud and maybe I should stick with it true or not. they have blood and there is a problem with their blood so technically that IS a disorder... maybe now that they are home people will just see them and love them and no longer ask those questions

    ReplyDelete